Head Tennis Professional
The Thornhill Club
The Thornhill Club is a year-round private club that offers golf, tennis, curling, fitness/wellness, swimming pool/aquatics and activities. The Thornhill Club is much more than one of Canada’s best golf courses with more than a century's worth of deep heritage. The Club has an innovative approach to cuisine, and the environment, and provides several activities for families. The Club is conveniently located in the GTA on Yonge Street (near Hwy 407) in Thornhill, Ontario.
As a result of The Thornhill Club’s commitment to providing its members with an excellent Club experience, we are hiring a Head Tennis Professional with a particular focus on sustaining an active and vibrant tennis section with excitement that will permeate at the Thornhill Club and in the community of Thornhill. As part of this vision, the Head Tennis Professional will be responsible for all aspects of tennis including the activities, programming, teaching, maintenance, and leadership of staff. The HTP is a highly visible position that requires a strong presence and communication with members, committees, and team members. The HTP is expected to lead all tennis-related activities by passionately promoting the game of tennis and engaging the section to do the same.
The Required Scope of Services
The general role and responsibilities of the HTP will be to deliver a range of services customarily provided by a minimum TPA Club Professional 2 or Coach 2 certification. The services Professional are to serve in a full-time capacity as the HTP for the contracted period of May 1 through October 31, annually. To provide no less than twelve (12) hours per week/6 days per week of on-court activity as determined by the Sports & Activity Manager.
Qualifications, Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide quality leadership and a positive, highly visible, and engaging style. Providing an accessible and approachable personality is an essential element of success.
- A passionate ambassador for the game of tennis with the ability to transfer that passion to each member of the tennis staff.
- Assure consistent, efficient, and seamless daily operations of tennis at the Club.
- Provide members and guests with an environment that meets the values of the Club.
- Oversee all tennis operations and programming, with exemplary hospitality and connection with members and team members.
- Be a strong consensus builder who recognizes the importance of having effective skills to resolve problems and inspire solutions for the best member experience.
- Communication is a key attribute for this position. Promoting all activities, events, assessments, and lesson opportunities, and following up in a timely manner with all members and staff.
- Provide exemplary tennis programming with facility oversight; managing day-to-day operations; inspection and supervision of court maintenance and related equipment.
- Manage assistant tennis professionals. All such hires will be contractors and will be compensated by the Club. All such hires must be approved, in advance, by the Club.
- Devote a reasonable number of hours each week to playing tennis with members of all skill levels to encourage skill development and relationship building. Such time will not be considered playing lessons.
- Provide private and group tennis instruction at rates approved by the Club.
- Manage the day-to-day reservation of courts for play by members.
- Provide organizational and structural support for the Club’s junior program.
- Enthusiastically encourage tennis participation by planning events to promote the sport and fellowship at the Club.
- Organize, schedule, and manage tournaments, clinics, round robins, social events (2 per month), team tennis, and other tennis-related activities for the benefit of the Club’s members.
- Help produce and publish a calendar of events each year, in concert with the Tennis Committee.
- Enforce all the Club’s rules and regulations governing the use of the tennis facilities, equipment, tennis dress code, and sportsmanship as set by the Club.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Member outreach and marketing initiatives through promotional and advertising efforts.
- Provide the administrative and organizational support necessary to ensure accurate financial record-keeping and reporting.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Tennis Committee, Sports and Activities Manager, General Manager, and others, as required, to assist in the management of the tennis operation.
- Attend the regularly scheduled tennis committee meetings to facilitate successful planning, administration, and operations.
- Basic understanding and working knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel programs.
- Produce a written season-end report for review by the Tennis Committee that summarizes program highlights and recommendations for the next season.
- HTP is expected to be on-site for a considerable amount of time, especially during weekends.
The club will move into interviews and a candidate selection in January 2024. Please respond to this posting by e-mailing your resume to Darryl Jinks, Sports and Activities Manager email@example.com or by telephone at (905) 881-3000 Ext. 225.