Ontario Tennis Association
The OTA is the provincial sport governing body for tennis in Ontario. A non-profit organization, it is the largest provincial tennis association in Canada, boasting 250 clubs and approximately 65,000 adult and junior tennis players. The OTA makes tennis more accessible for all Ontarians, supports and provides services that assist players to reach their personal goals and abilities. The OTA’s strengths are in its sheer numbers, its presence throughout the province, and in the creation and maintenance of an atmosphere of unlimited tennis opportunities for players of all levels, from grassroots to national caliber athletes.
What is the Opportunity
The Executive Director is responsible for effectively leading, managing and conducting the affairs of the OTA in accordance with the Association’s mission, by-laws, policies, and procedures, and in keeping with the Board of Directors’ strategic priorities and approved directions.
What You Will Do
- Effective leadership of the 7 full-time, 10 seasonal staff and interns, and various volunteers at the OTA. You will work with the core teams of Player Development, Marketing and Communication, Membership and Regional Development, Finance and Administration to execute the strategic objectives of the OTA.
- Develop a strategic vision for the OTA that can most effectively advance the sport of tennis and the mandate of the Association. You will work with the Board to establish a 5-year strategic plan and set the guiding objectives of the OTA.
- Develop an annual operating plan and budget that achieves the strategic objectives, including relevant key performance indicators.
- Develop and implement operational objectives for each area / portfolio / department of the OTA.
- Create and sustain a positive and supportive work culture.
- Develop and recommend a risk management framework relating to all aspects of the Association’s business and operations.
- As Executive Director reporting to the board, you will be expected to report on the operations, budget and execution of strategic goals.
- Provide expert advice and guidance on relevant matters.
- Lead the planning for and the delivery of the Association’s Annual General Meeting
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with OTA stakeholders, including Tennis Canada, other Provincial Tennis Associations, Provincial Government Officials, current and potential sponsors, member clubs, players, and regional associations.
- Meet with the membership, formally and informally, to promote the image of the Association and to elicit member input, working in collaboration with the Region Chairs.
- Identify potential income and funding sources that enables the OTA to deliver its mandate and strategic objectives.
- Ensure the OTA complies with all Provincial and Federal rules and regulations and achieves a clean financial audit.
Who You Are
- Have a minimum of 5 years sports management experience.
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills including experience managing a financially independent business.
- Experience in developing and implementing tennis (or similar) initiatives and activities designed to promote sport for a similar cause-driven association.
- Have experience leading a not-for-profit organization and working with a volunteer Board of Directors.
- Possess an ability to motivate and work well with staff, directors, sponsors, government officials, community stakeholders (including association members) and volunteers.
- Have a thorough understanding of fundraising in the not-for-profit sector and experience in the grant writing and application process.
- A passion for tennis.
- Reside (or are willing to reside) within commuting distance to the OTA offices at the Sobeys Stadium, 1 Shoreham Drive, North York, Ontario.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel, mainly within the province.
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter outlining your interest in the position to email@example.com by October 10.